Saturday, December 29, 2007

Who should raise the children when parents divorce?

Who should raise the children when parents divorce?

From my personal experience, when parents divorce, children should live with the best parent to raise them. I know some people may wonder what I mean by the best parent. I mean the parent that can provide the type of nurturing environment needed to provide the children with the skills they will need to survive in the world. But I also believe that the parent who does not have custody should remain as involved with their children as possible. Just because the parents do not get along, does not mean that the parent who does not have custody can just take off and abandon the children. This can affect how the children grow up.

For example, I have two children who grew up in a divorced household. The children have not seen their dad for a very long time. My son has not seen his father for approximately 8 years now. My daughter has not seen him
in about 2 years. Two of the grandchildren have only
seen their grandfather once,
and another grandchild has never met him. Although
my children are grown and have children of their own, I still see how they really miss him deep down inside their hearts. Through their behavior over the years, I have seen how his absence affects them each day. For example: when my son was about 16 years old his father called the house and did not ask to speak with him, even though my son was the one who answered the phone. I watched my son cry in my arms like a baby because he really wanted his dad to talk to him. I know that there are many families out there who go through the same things. We need to remember that even though we may not stay in a marriage we need to always keep in touch and be involved in our children's lives. Having the family connection and a good support system from both parents can help raise the children to become the best that they can be in life.

Children need the love and care from both parents. It does not matter whether or not if the children see
their other parent once a week, once a month, or once a year.
The children need to feel that they are loved and cared for from both parents. I have talked with children young and old who say that they wished that they could see their mother or father more often. They want to have a family as a whole instead of a half. But when that is not entirely possible, the parents need to make sure that the child's life is as complete as possible by staying involved in their upbringing.
Parents let's always stay in touch with our children. Let's love and care for them so they feel that they are special to us. Our love for our children can help them grow to become the best that they can be, and live happy and fulfilling lives.


 

Written by M. Ann Machen Pritchard

Please visit my web site at:

www.cafepress.com/mampcreations

www.youtube/mamp7

www.shoutlife.com/mamp13

No comments: